Gian Paolo Minelli is a recognized Photographer born in Geneva, Switzerland. Since 1999, he live in Buenos Aires. His photographs have been seen in more than 75 collective exhibitions all over the world and he has held individual exhibitions in many cities, among them: Berne, Geneva, Bogotà, Buenos Aires, Miami, Lugano, Bellinzona, Chiasso, Medellin, London, and Asuncion. Among other prizes, he has won one of the Swiss Art Awards (2008) and an honourable mention from the jury at the 10 edition of the Federico Jorge Klemm prize for Visual Arts (Buenos Aires, 2006). Between 2009 and 2010, he was artist in residence at the cite des Arts, Paris, and during 2012, six-mounth artist residency in Berlin. He has also published several books of his work. In Argentina his practice unfolds in public space, engaging inhabitants from marginal areas of the city. He has been working at Galpon PiedraBuenArte in Villa Lugano, one of the poorest suburbs in Buenos Aires where he combines Arts and Solidarity. From this work he has published the book Zona Sur, Barrio Piedrabuena, (2001-2006) and directed a film screened in International Festivals.
– 2012, Artist residence in Berlin, Landis and Gyr Stiftung, 6 moths, Berlin, Germany
– 2009–2010, Artist residence in Paris, Cité internationals des Arts, 6 moths, Paris, France.
– 2008, Swiss Art Awards, Basel, Switzerland.
– 2002, Werkjahr, Fundacion UBS, Zurich, Switzerland.
– 1996/1999/2002 Ministry of Culture, Visual Arts Federal Contest Award in Photography, Bern, Switzerland.
– 1999 Ministry of Culture, Visual Arts Federal Contest Award in Photography, Bern, Switzerland.
– 1998 /1999, Artist residence in Instituto Svizzero di Roma, Italia
– 2018, The skin of the cities, Dotfiftyone galery, Miami, USA
– 2017, La Forma de la Boca, Usina del Arte, Buenos Aires, Argentina
– 2017, ‘Photography in Argentina, 1850 – 2010: Contradiction and Continuity’ The J. Paul Getty Museum - Los Angeles, USA
– 2016, And Now the Good News, works from the Annette e Peter Nobel Collection, MASI, Lugano, Switzerland
– 2016, Viceversa ‘TURISTA, VECINA, PROFESIONAL Y ERRANTE’, Fundación Proa, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
– ‘Photography in Argentina, 1850 – 2010: Contradiction and Continuity’, Getty Publications, Los Angeles, USA, 2017
– Variazioni su un tema / Variations on a Theme, Casagrande, Lugano 2017.
– The itinerant languages of photography, Art Museum Princeton University, Princeton, USA, 2013
– La piel de las ciudades / The skin of the cities JRP Ringier, Zürich 2010.
– Zona Sur, Barrio Piedra Buena, Buenos Aires Argentina 2001–2006,
– Espace d’arts contemporains – Attitudes, Geneva, Switzerland, 2007.