Gianni Cipriano is a Sicilian-born independent photographer based in Napoli, Italy. His work focuses on contemporary social, political and economic issues. The oldest of two children in a family of immigrants, Gianni grew up between Brooklyn, Geneva and Palermo. He graduated from the Documentary Photography and Photojournalism Program at the International Center of Photography in New York in 2008 and has since regularly worked for The New York Times. He has been documenting the ongoing upheaval in Italian politics since 2013. His editorial work has also appeared in Time, Wired, The Wall Street Journal, Le Monde Magazine, The Guardian Weekend Magazine, among others.
– 2016, Lumix Freelens Award. Selected Artist. Hannover, Germany.
– 2012, MOPLA, Month of Photography, Los Angeles. Pro’jekt LA. Selected artist. Los Angeles, USA.
– 2010, Hannover Festival for Young Photojournalism. Lumix Multimedia Award. Hannover, Germany.
– 2009, Picture of The Year International (POYI). First Place Multimedia Feature.
– 2008, Director’s Fellowship, International Center of Photography, New York.
– 2019, Perfect, Gibellina Photo Road, Gibellina, Italy
– 2016, Politico, LUMIX Festival for Young Photojournalism, Hannover, Germany
– 2016, Politico, Extraordinary Visions / L’Italia, MAXXI, Rome, Italy
– 2013, Hill of Shame, ‘Paradise Now’, Extraspazio gallery, Rome, Italy
– 2011, Siciliae, FOLI, Lima Biennale of Photography, Peru
– B. Ireland (edited by), The New York Times Explorer. Cities & Towns, Köln, Taschen, 2018
– G. Fofi (a cura di), Il racconto onesto, Roma, Contrasto, 2015
– Lundelin, Simons (edited by), Stories of Change. Beyond the Arab Spring, Amsterdam, Schilt Publishing, 2014
– AA.VV. (F. Ammiraglio, a cura di), FAI. I Luoghi del Cuore. L’Italia Scelta dagli Italiani, Milano, Rizzoli, 2014